I have always been a big reader and loved books. But when I started university, I lost touch with it. I had no interest in reading and when I picked one up, I gave up after a few chapters. So entering 2020, I wanted to find that love for books again. I had a simple goal – read 12 books for the year. And I can proudly say that not only did I surpass that goal, books became my escape with everything going on.
At the end of the year, I finished 52 books!!!
For some people, that might not be a lot. But after finishing only 2 books in 2019, I am proud of myself for reading 52 books. Its like finishing 1 book a week. And here’s the thing, March was when I really started reading at least 4 books a month. So technically I could say that I read 52 books in approximately 44 with an average of 1.2 books a week. But who’s counting.
Because I am a nerd who love statistics, here are a few:
Every book I read in 2020. Favourites are bolded.
- The Friend Zone by Abby Jimenez
- My Favourite Half-Night Stand by Christina Lauren
- The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren
- Twice in a Blue Moon by Christina Lauren
- Manwhore by Katy Evans
- Josh and Hazel’s Guide to Not Dating by Christina Lauren
- The Bromance Book Club by Lyssa Kay Adams
- Undercover Bromance by Lyssa Kay Adams
- Kind of Curses by Stephanie Fournet
- No, We Can’t Be Friends by Sophie Ranald
- The Worst Best Man by Mia Sosa
- Bound by Honor by Cora Reilly
- Bound by Duty by Cora Reilly
- The Good Luck Charm by Helena Hunting
- Bound by Hatred by Cora Reilly
- Beach Read by Emily Henry
- With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo
- The Happy Ever After Playlist by Abby Jimenez
- Dear Ava by Ilsa Madden-Mills
- Abruption by Riley Mackenzie
- Rush by Kani Steiner
- Nero by Sarah Brianne
- Parachutes by Kelly Yang
- The Honey-Don’t List by Christina Lauren
- Wall Street Titan: the complete duet by Anna Zaires
- Bound by Temptation by Cora Reilly
- Luca Vitiello by Cora Reilly
- Deviant King by Rina Kent
- The Kingmaker by Ryan Kennedy
- Royally Screwed by Emma Chase
- Clap When You Land by Elizabeth Acevedo
- Code of Conduct by April White
- You Deserve Each Other by Sarah Hogle
- The House in the Cerulean Sea by T.J. Klune
- The Trouble with Hating You by Sajni
- The Roommate by Rosie Danan
- Truly Devious by Maureen Johnson
- The Vanishing Stair by Maureen Johnson
- The Hand on the Wall by Maureen Johnson
- Sweet Temptation by Cora Reilly
- Code of Silence by Shantel Tessier
- The Bloody Bride by Bree Porter
- Principessa of Chicago by Bree Porter
- Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins
- Crazy Stupid Bromance by Lyssa Kay Adams
- Truth or Dare by Danielle Allen
- From Lukov with Love by Mariana Zapata
- The Lion’s Den by Katherine St.John
- Roommaid by Sariah Wilson
- Tiny Pretty Things by Sona Charaipotra
- Shiny Broken Pieces by Sona Charaipotra
- The Sweetest Oblivion by Danielle Lori
When choosing the books I read in 2020 I played it safe. I stayed in my comfort zone not wanting to read new concepts, new worlds and genres. The majority were romance, popular and from big-named authors. There was also a ton of mafia romances which are my guilty pleasure.
Looking at the books I read in 2020, I did not read diversely.
- Only 1 (The House in the Cerulean Sea) had an m/m romance with the main characters while the rest had m/f romances.
- 1 standalone and 1 series had an f/f romance from side characters.
- I read from 9 authors of color, while the rest were white.
I need to do better in 2021 with the books I choose to read, especially as a woman of color. And will.